Since the world got hit by the pandemic, working from home has become the new normal. We must agree that working from home has its own advantages like zero commuting, more family time, less stress, and the list goes on.
Unlike the office, we tend to work from everywhere. From the kitchen, living room to the balcony brings new electrical safety worries in your home. This means home offices are prone to fire and electrical hazards.
The Electrical Safety Foundation International has released a new infographic called “Electrical Safety While Working From Home” with 10 safety tips.
- Prevent overloading outlets
Avoid overloading and start to use just one plugin for every outlet.
When an outlet gets overloaded, the circuit breaker trips frequently. If your circuit breaker isn’t working correctly, then the circuit wiring will overheat. That leads the installation to melt and end up in an electrical fire. You may also need to check out the outlets to make sure they’re cool to touch.
- Unplug all unused devices
To reduce potential risk, unplug all unused devices. This advice may seem simplistic and easier to forget, but don’t let the simplicity fool you. This tip saves electricity by reducing power drains, but unused devices remain protected from overheating and power surges.
Let’s keep power surges aside; there is another bright side to maintaining unplugged devices: you can save money on electric bills. Even when the device is turned off, but the cord is plugged, it consumes a small amount of electricity.
The U.S. Department of Energy estimates that appliances that constantly draw small wattage can add up to $100 to $200 every year.
- Regularly inspect electrical cords
Damages in insulations and exposed wires can lead to fire hazards. If you find that any of your cords are damaged, make sure to replace them as soon as possible.
- Don’t view extension cords as a permanent solution
Your extension cords are always a temporary solution. You must plugin your expensive devices directly into an outlet. If there is a shortage of outlets, then hire a professional electrician and install new ones.
- Never plug a space heater into an extension cord
A space heater or a fan requires more power than an extension cord can handle. Plug them directly into an outlet. Otherwise, it may cause the power strip or the line to overheat and catch fire.
- Never run cords under rugs
When you run cords under a rug or carpet, they can quickly overheat. Similarly, avoid running a cord through the door or windows because a sash can easily break a cable causing an electrical hazard.
- Plugin Smartly
A cord placed near a doorway or a walkway can become a tripping hazard. A trip and fall can lead to severe injuries to both adults and kids.
- Keep combustibles away
Always keep combustibles 3 feet or more away from heat sources. That includes papers, woods, chemicals, or any other combustibles that should be kept away to diminish fire risk.
- Make sure to use the proper wattage
You can identify proper wattage by checking out brightness, temperature, or a light bulb. Ensure the wattage is safe and doesn’t cause an electrical fire.
- Make sure your home has smoke alarms.
If your home doesn’t have a smoke alarm, then make sure to install one. Keep in mind to test them once every month.
Apart from these 10 tips, Artizan Electric has put together the top 3 tips to keep in mind when you’re working from home.
You may have plenty of time at home these days. It will always be enticing to try things out on your own. Doing it yourself can be fun and stress relieving sometimes. When it comes to electrical works, most of us think of saving a few bucks. But it’s not true.
Almost all electrical problems require a professional and licensed electrician to do the job to ensure that the work will be done harmlessly and responsibly.
For your own safety, it’s better not try to…
- Fix any faulty electrical devices
- Change a power point or switch
- Set up your own electrical wiring
Watch out for kids
If you have a kid or toddler at home, then you need extra caution when working. Kids are curious every day to check out new things and poke their little fingers or other objects into sockets.
Make sure to use child-proof plugs and place devices somewhere their hands cannot reach. And most importantly, educate them about the potential threat of mishandling electricity.
Give your work “the space” it requires
Your devices require proper electrical circulation. Make sure to give them space so that they won’t overheat and short out. Avoid operating electrical devices in a closed cabinet.
Also, make sure to keep your devices away from water as water and electricity don’t mix well together.
The pandemic has transformed the working landscape. It’s time for us to adapt to the new changes. Save these tips somewhere so that you can keep them handy. Share it with your friends, family, and co-workers.
If you’d like to run an electrical inspection in your home, contact Artizan Electric. We also have a 24/7 emergency service available, please contact us (509) 339-9991, and we’ll be happy to help.